What is the best platform for construction collaboration?
I have been asked this question twice this week on Twitter, and the answer is usually, of course, “it depends….” Do you want an on-premise solution, or something hosted by a vendor? Do you want a system that is cheap and simple? Something for a small team, or to support 100s of potential users? Or do you need something to manage complex processes (contract changes, financial issues, etc)? Do you need smartphone or tablet access?
Be2Awards nominations needed
A similar question was posed last year in the built environment social media awards, the Be2Awards, and the answer then was BIW Technologies (today known as conject) – ahead of 4Projects, Asite and Woobius.
I am not sure what answer, if any, there will be this year in the 2012 Be2Awards (post), as so far there have been no nominations in this category (nominations close at midnight, Friday 7 September). So, if you use one of the many platforms I have written about in this blog, perhaps you might think they deserve a nomination….
Mobile collaboration platforms have also featured in this blog increasingly over the past year or so, so you might want to nominate your favourite mobile application – which are enabling an ever-wide range of AEC activities. Candidates here might include, for example:
- Aconex – launched an iPhone app in May 2011 (post) and, I understand, have a field app optimised for iPads coming soon.
- Cadfaster – I reviewed Cadfaster’s BIM/CAD application last December. Tuomas Holma recently showed me how the platform could be fine-tuned to the particular needs of landscape architects and stage lighting managers, and the company now offers CAD storage “in the cloud” (MyCadBox).
- HisTREE.net – deploying QR codes for landscape asset management (post)
- Snaglist – defects management on the iPhone (post)
- OpenBuildings.com – not content with crowd-sourcing and “archiving the world’s built environment” (post), they created Clippings.com, a Pinterest-style architectural and interior design scrapbook service (post).
The Be2Awards event takes place on Wednesday 26 September at the Building Centre in central London, during Social Media Week. Registration for places is now open, and sponsorship opportunities remain.